Case study Kawosa

KAWOSA Saccos was registered as a Co-operative Society according to the Cooperative Society Act of 1968 with registration number KAR 528. It was fully registered in 2006 as a limited liability organization. KAWOSA an acronym which stands for Karagwe Women Sacco. They provides financial services for women in Karagwe district in Bukoba region, in the Northern part of Tanzania.

KAWOSA’s services are locally delivered and ethically focused. They offer excellent value loans across the district. An informal KAWOSA survey indicated that 90% of households in Karagwe have no savings and no access to affordable credit.

Summed up, there are a total of 85,000 households with potential interest in savings and lending in Karagwe. 30% of its clients are from rural areas and the remaining 70% are from peri-urban.

KAWOSA has been established by local community groups responding to direct demand. The SACCO has been an Oikocredit partner since 2010, where a loan of Tzs 100 million was approved and disbursed to the partner for the purpose of on-lending to members of the sacco. The loan period is for 3 years and is expected to expire by the end of 2013.

The partner is one of the best SACCO in our portfolio with excellent repayment history with Oikocredit.

To date, the partner has managed to have a total number of 1485 female members from a total of 835 members in 2010. Its current portfolio has reached to Tzs 1 billion from Tzs 437 million 2010.

Get in touch

Oikocredit East Africa
Methodist Ministries Centre, 2nd floor
Oloitokitok Road, Lavington
30328-00100 Nairobi
workT: +254 20 3862314/8
faxF: +254 20 3862310